On the cake case, David Brooks gets it wrong

Religion News Service | 12/7/2017 | Gene Robinson
Nighty (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://religionnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/webRNS-ROBINSONS-OPED-20171206.jpg

(RNS) — Let me get this right: A baker, in violation of Colorado law, refuses to provide service to a gay couple that he provides to everyone else, and according to David Brooks, it’s the couple’s “bad” that they didn’t invite him to dinner?

I am a long time admirer of David Brooks and I look to him for a reasoned and well-articulated conservative perspective on public matters. But in his opinion piece about the Masterpiece Cake case before the Supreme Court, “How Not to Advance Gay Marriage,” he is uncharacteristically naïve and gets it so, so wrong.

Couple - Course - Brooks - Admonishes - Baker

The gay couple should have taken the “neighborly course,” Brooks admonishes, inviting the baker to dinner in their home, letting him get to know them and giving them the chance to prove their “marital love” to him. Which begs the question: Who else in America needs to cook dinner for a vendor before earning the right to purchase their wares?

Were Mr. Brooks denied service at a lunch counter because he is white, would he then invite the owner to his home for dinner so that gradually, over time, the owner’s heart would be changed and white people like Mr. Brooks would be served after all? If that were the right approach to civil rights, African-Americans would still be looking for lunch.

Brooks - Plaintiffs - Felt - Nobody - Service

After Brooks rightly notes that the plaintiffs were “understandably upset” and “felt degraded,” that “Nobody likes to be refused service just because of who they essentially are,” and “In a just society people are not discriminated against because of their sexual orientation,” he turns his back on what he’s just written. He argues Masterpiece Cake is not about discrimination based on “who they essentially are” but rather about the baker’s religious beliefs.

The Washington State Supreme Court, ruling on a similar case regarding a florist...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Religion News Service
Wake Up To Breaking News!
When will they ever learn?
Tagged: