Anguish of grieving husband who was wrongly branded a cheat after his vet wife's suicide note was misunderstood by a detective

Mail Online | 12/4/2017 | Paddy Dinham For Mailonline
josh567 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/12/04/20/46FB89EF00000578-0-image-a-28_1512418946610.jpg

A grieving husband was wrongly labelled a cheat after a detective misunderstood his wife's suicide note to think he was having an affair.

Nicole Putney, 32, hanged herself at a Novotel in Worsley, Manchester, leaving a note which was thought to be partially directed at a lover her husband, Simon Mueller was seeing behind her back.

Hearing - High - Court - Judge - Today

But in a hearing at the High Court, a senior judge today said there was no evidence her widower was unfaithful or even that she feared he had been.

The note had been misread by Detective Inspector Koran Sellars, of Greater Manchester Police, said the judge, Sir Brian Leveson.

Mr - Mueller - Physicist - 'infidelity - Wife

Mr Mueller, an internationally renowned physicist, suffered anguish when his 'infidelity' was erroneously reported following an inquest into his wife's death.

The portion of the note which the detective believed to be addressed to another woman was actually written by Miss Putney to herself, he said.

'I - Doubt - Note - Meaning - Det

'I have no doubt whatsoever that the note does not bear the meaning that Det Insp Sellars sought to give it,' Sir Brian said in his ruling.

'Whatever other criticisms she might have been making of him, there is no basis for concluding that Ms Putney was complaining - let alone asserting - that her husband was having or may have had an affair.

Part - Note - Ms - Putney

'It is clear that the second part of the note was, indeed, addressed by Ms Putney to herself.'

The court heard the couple had had a difficult marriage, exacerbated by Ms Putney's long-standing mental health problems.

Times - Nightingale - Hospital - Marylebone - London

She had attempted suicide several times and had been treated at the Nightingale Hospital, in Marylebone, London, shortly before her death.

She died after hanging herself in her room while at a business conference in Manchester in May 2015.

The...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Don't touch that, you don't know where it's been.