More Reasons to Support a Celibate Priesthood

Crisis Magazine | 11/30/2017 | Michael Warren Davis
Click For Photo: http://www.crisismagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/priests-in-cassocks.jpg

Usually I don’t bother with pieces about “the first (y) (x),” where y = special interest group and x = profession. They always drip with a smugness that I, who looked up to the Jafar character as a child, find nauseating. The bien pensant journalist always seems pleasantly surprised their pet minorities have risen to their expectations.

But, lo! “Methodist Church appoints first transgender minister,” the London Telegraph proclaimed. So I read it for a quick, guilty hit of schadenfreude.

Piece - Journalist - Pronouns - Post-transition - Anecdotes

It’s an interesting piece, if only because the journalist can’t seem to settle on pronouns. For post-transition anecdotes, it’s “she”; pre-transition, it’s “he.” They refer to Rev. Everingham both as a mother to her children and a husband to his wife. Very difficult to follow.

That’s even not the strangest part of the article. It chronicles Everingham’s double-life before coming out as transgender, such traveling to other cities to attend trans nightclubs. His wife Ruth suspected he was having an affair, which is perfectly reasonable.

Everingham - Beans - Hormones - Months - Wife

Everingham finally spilled the beans and began taking hormones 18 months ago, and claims his wife is just fine with it. “Ruth loves me for who I am, but she’s still attracted to men,” he says. “I’m not sure she is really attracted to me sexually anymore, but we’re still in love and we’re still best friends.” And, in case you were worried: “Transitioning has made our lives easier, it has become wonderfully normal.”

Despite the Telegraph’s best efforts, this doesn’t come off as a happy story, least of all for Ruth. No doubt she loves her husband, and is relieved to know he’s not struggling with his so-called gender identity anymore. But I can’t imagine she prefers being married to a trans person. And the situation may very well feel relatively “normal” to someone suffering from gender dysphoria, who’s...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Crisis Magazine
Wake Up To Breaking News!
The American Government, working tireless for everyone, except Americans.