K-LOVE Source: The Pledge Drive Goal Was about $30-Million

Warren Throckmorton | 11/28/2017 | Staff
TimHyuga (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/warrenthrockmorton/files/2016/06/KLOVE-Car.png

Twice a year, Christian radio giant Educational Media Foundation (K-LOVE and Air-One) conducts a pledge drive. For about a week, the on-air personalities beg for pledges to “keep your K-LOVE on the air.” During the most recent pledge drive, I called, wrote, tweeted, and Facebook messaged K-LOVE in order to find out the pledge drive goal. How much money was K-LOVE trying to raise?

Despite my efforts, I never got an answer. K-LOVE’s Facebook contact referred me to CEO Mike Novak who never answered. The customer service representatives said they didn’t know. It is hard for me to believe that donors parted with their money without information about how much K-LOVE needs and why.

Lack - Transparency - Sources - Position - Goals

After I wrote about the lack of transparency, some sources who are in a position to know contacted me to tell me that the goals for 2017 were in the neighborhood of $30-million per drive, give or take a million.

K-LOVE had a surplus of over $60-million in 2016 on revenues of $170-million. Just before the last pledge drive, the mega-station purchased three stations for $58-million which is about the same amount as was pledged by donors during the 2017 pledge drives. Looks like those $40/month EZ gifts are buying new stations more so than keeping current K-LOVE stations on the air.

K-LOVE - Stations - Expansion - Organization - Pledge

K-LOVE purchased several other new stations in 2017. The expansion of the organization is made possible by twice yearly pledge drives where listeners are told that their local station may go away if the listeners don’t become donors. I suppose K-LOVE could yank a station but it wouldn’t be because K-LOVE doesn’t have money. It would be because the listeners in a coverage area fail to meet a quota not disclosed to them. Nasty business, this nonprofit Christian radio business.

New markets mean new listeners, which mean new donors,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Warren Throckmorton
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Never argue with an idiot, the spectators may not be able to differentiate between you.