Nick Cave Goes Through With Tel Aviv Concerts, Says It Would Be "Cowardly" Not To

pastemagazine.com | 11/20/2017 | Staff
Caris (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.pastemagazine.com/www/articles/andreasrentz.jpg

Despite the best efforts of Roger Waters, Brian Eno, Thurston Moore, TV on the Radio’s Tunde Adebimpe and other Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions (BDS) supporters, Nick Cave has played one concert in Tel Aviv and is scheduled to play another tonight. The dates are a continuation of an otherwise-Euro tour, and the Israeli headlines praising Cave are already flooding the internet with joy at the artist’s sanction breakthrough.

The prince of darkness appeared at a press conference yesterday to explain his intentions to perform in Israel and to illustrate how unfair it is to go through a sort of “public humiliation” if one decides to go against a Pink Floyd member’s ideologies. He’s specifically calling out Waters here, referencing the Pink Floyd member’s attempts to dissuade Thom Yorke from performing in Israel last summer.

End - Day - Reasons - Cave - Presser

“So at the end of the day there are two reasons why I am here,” Cave said during the presser. “One is that I love Israel and I love Israeli people, and two is to make a principled stand against anyone who wants to censor and silence musicians. So really you could say in a way that the BDS made me play Israel.”

It’s the BDS, and also Eno, whom Cave claims tried to coerce him into signing an anti-Israel boycott three years ago over the country’s occupation of Palestinian territory. Cave didn’t sign it because “there was there was something that stunk to [him] about that list.” The stink turned to a staunch need to speak and perform regardless of conflict—it would be “cowardly” not to play Israel on his current tour, Cave said. In 2014, Lana Del Rey, Neil Young, Backstreet Boys, Cee Lo...
(Excerpt) Read more at: pastemagazine.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: