At Tahoe, they’re off and skiing after early dusting of snow

San Francisco Chronicle | 11/8/2017 | By Melody Gutierrez
xxlauzyxx (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/67/25/60/14507043/3/rawImage.jpg

It had been nearly two decades since Francis had skied or snowboarded and she smiled at the top of a beginner run powdered with mostly man-made snow at Mount Rose-Ski Tahoe, which, on Tuesday, became the first of the Tahoe area resorts to open its doors for the ski season. A light dusting of snow over the weekend prompted the early opening.

“I had been stalking (Mount Rose) on Instagram and Facebook to see when they would open,” said Francis, who lives in Reno. “I wanted to come as soon as I saw it was open.”

Mount - Rose - Beginner - Runs - Favorite

And she did, arriving shortly after Mount Rose opened its beginner runs, a favorite for locals.

Last ski season’s record snowfall kept some resorts open into July, and early forecasts are calling for another good year, said Andy Chapman, president of the Incline Village Crystal Bay Visitors Bureau.

Word - Year - Relentless - Chapman - Winter

“The word I used to describe last year was relentless,” Chapman said. “It was a big winter. Forecasts are showing we should have what would be considered a normal winter, which is good.”

In the last ski season, 800 inches of snow fell in some parts of the Tahoe area, twice as much as in an average year. Chapman said occupancy forecasting for the region is showing a 4 percent increase over last year based on reservations already made for November to March. On average, the Tahoe area sees 3 million ski visitors during the season.

Phones - Hook - Weekend - Chapman

“We saw the phones ringing off the hook with the dusting last weekend,” Chapman said.

Many resorts are targeting Millennials by including GoPro rentals to record their trip down the slopes and offering work spaces for those who have a hard time unplugging. Industry experts have long worried that younger generations are not taking up snow sports at a rate that would replace aging Baby Boomers and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: San Francisco Chronicle
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: