Grandmother, 56, with a history of burning herself 'died on a mental health ward after setting herself on fire with a cigarette lighter in her handbag'

Mail Online | 8/19/2016 | Thomas Burrows;Press Association
bluelilly (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/11/06/17/4614479500000578-0-image-a-57_1509988051905.jpg

A mother-of-four died after being found engulfed in flames in her room at a mental health unit after she set herself alight with a cigarette lighter in her handbag, an inquest heard.

Heather Loveridge, 56, of Newmarket, was found ablaze in her bedroom's en-suite toilet within a day of being voluntarily admitted to the ward.

Days - August - Broomfield - Hospital - Specialist

She died two days later on August 19 2016 at Broomfield Hospital, which has a specialist burns unit, in Chelmsford, Essex.

Cambridgeshire's assistant coroner Belinda Cheney said the handbag had not been searched on admission to the Cavell Centre mental health unit in Peterborough, and was returned to her.

Ms - Cheney - 'It - Handbag - Admission

Ms Cheney said: 'It seems her handbag was not searched on admission to Oak Three (assessment ward at the Cavell Centre) and at some stage was returned to her.'

Mrs Loveridge, who had psychotic depression, was voluntarily admitted to the Cavell Centre on August 16 2016 and was moved from an assessment unit called Oak Ward Three to a treatment ward.

Ms - Cheney - Fire - Alarm - Morning

Ms Cheney said a fire alarm sounded shortly before 8am the next morning, on August 17 2016.

'Staff investigated and found Mrs Loveridge had set fire to herself in the toilet of her bedroom and her hair and clothes were on fire,' she said.

Mrs - Loveridge

Mrs Loveridge was taken to hospital but...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to Long Room!

Where The World Finds Its News!