Puppy that collapsed after ingesting an OPIOID while on a walk is saved with overdose antidote used for humans

Mail Online | 10/26/2017 | Germania Rodriguez For Dailymail.com;Associated Press
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/10/26/20/45B60D4E00000578-0-image-a-9_1509046750542.jpg

A puppy that collapsed after ingesting some sort of opioid in Massachusetts has survived after being given an overdose reversal drug more often administered to humans.

Peter Thibault was walking his three-month-old yellow Labrador named Zoey in Andover, Massachusetts, last week when she picked up a pack of cigarettes on the ground and soon passed out, he told The Eagle-Tribune.

Home - Bulger - Veterinary - Hospital

He carried her home and when she got worse took her to Bulger Veterinary Hospital.

'She just collapsed,' Thibault told the Eagle-Tribune. 'I had no idea what the issue was. She was just lying there. I picked her up took, her home and laid her on floor. It seemed she was getting progressively worse, her eyes were rolling back and her tongue was hanging out of her mouth.'

Zoey - Cigarette - Box - Street - Doses

After hearing that Zoey had picked up a cigarette box on the street, a veterinarian administered several doses of naloxone, a drug used to reverse the effects of opioids on humans.

Zoey was in the emergency room for over 12 hours, as dogs need to receive several naloxone doses to survive an overdose.

Krista - Vernaleken - Doctor - Bulger - Zoey

Krista Vernaleken, a medical doctor at Bulger, thinks Zoey ingested fentanyl because heroin would have likely taken longer to leave...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
"Tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to Long Room!

Where The World Finds Its News!