Mysterious remains washed up on an Alaskan beach may belong to huge Pacific Sleeper shark rarely seen by humans

Mail Online | 10/26/2017 | Phoebe Weston For Mailonline
donuzumaki (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/10/26/17/45B526BC00000578-0-image-a-59_1509034031815.jpg

Click For Video: http://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/bc/rtmp_uds/1418450360/2013/05/08/1418450360_2364718162001_monster.mp4

Scientists are dealing with a deep-sea mystery after the remains of an unidentified creature washed up on a remote beach.

A wilderness guide made the bizarre discovery while kayaking in Berners Bay, Alaska, nearly 40 miles (64km) from the nearest town.

Type - Ray - Innards - Feet - Pacific

He initially thought it was a type of ray but soon realised he may have found the innards of a 12 feet (3.6m) Pacific Sleeper shark that lives more than a mile deep.

'When I got to the beach, I quickly realised it was the internal organs of something very large', said Bjorn Dihle, the guide who found it.

'The - Organs - Decomposing - Liver - Smelt

'The organs looked and felt like a decomposing liver, and smelt like a fish hold that hadn't been cleaned in a while – a bit like ammonia.'

Biologist John Moran from the NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) said he could not be sure what Mr Dihle had found without a tissue sample but believes it may be the liver of a Pacific sleeper shark.

'I - Guess - Testis - Liver - Sleeper

'I don't think it is mammalian, my first guess would be testis or liver from a sleeper shark', he said.

'Second guess would be something internal from a squid, but it seems a bit large for the squid I've seen wash up around here.'

Pacific - Sleeper - Shark - Mr - Dihle

If it is a Pacific sleeper shark it would be bigger than any that Mr Dihle – a former commercial fisherman – has dragged from the deep.

He said: 'I've caught a handful of sleepers while commercial fishing for halibut but the biggest was only around eight feet.

Individual - Thought - Guts

'This individual must have been significantly larger. My first thought was whale guts as it was...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
No matter where you go, there you are.