'They let her die and then they bill her': Woman among the 14 dead in a Florida nursing home after Hurricane Irma is CHARGED for 'care' on what would have been her 100th birthday

Mail Online | 10/20/2017 | Keith Griffith For Dailymail.com
duck.ie (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/10/20/05/458266A900000578-0-image-a-56_1508472769063.jpg

A woman who perished in a nursing home after Hurricane Irma has been billed by the facility on what would have been her 100th birthday.

Albertina Vega, 99, was one of 14 elderly residents who died in the sweltering Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills in Hollywood, Florida in the wake of the September hurricane.

October - Vega - Carmen - Fernandez - Woman

But on October 10, when Vega would have turned 100, her relative Carmen Fernandez was shocked to find that the dead woman's checking account had been overdrafted by a $958 automatic payment to the nursing facility.

'I was enraged. They let her die and then they bill her,' Fernandez told the Sun Sentinel. 'This was someone who was like a mother to me.'

'How - Person - Fernandez

'How are they going to charge a dead person?' Fernandez added.

A spokeswoman for the nursing facility told the newspaper that the payment had been returned into Vega's account on Tuesday, and said the error occurred because administrators had not had access to their computer system to switch off the recurring payments.

Lack - Access - Investigation - Hollywood - Police

It was unclear if that lack of access was due to the ongoing criminal investigation by the Hollywood Police and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!