THIS WEEK IN THE FUTURE OF CARS: LET’S GET THIS DRIVERLESS THING MOVING

WIRED | 10/13/2017 | Aarian Marshall
chrismpotts (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.wired.com/photos/59dfe1121c50492786213b16/191:100/pass/DriveAI.jpg

The momentum builds. This week we saw a bunch of schemes to get self-driving cars on the road. The state of California released the latest draft of its regulations to make it easier for driverless cars to be on public roads by 2018. Those are vehicles with no one at the controls—not even a "safety human." The University of Michigan is building a semiautonomous delivery vehicle for the US Postal Service. And a VC firm really wants to make a lane of I-5 in Seattle robots-only. Perfect driverless tech, with its promise of cutting crashes, can't come soon enough. New data from the Department of Transportation shows that 37,461 people died on American roads last year.

Let’s get you caught up.

Alex - General - Motors - Shot - Integration

Alex takes us through General Motors’ latest shot at vertical integration: the carmaker acquired Strobe, a California lidar maker. Lidar is one of those sensors that could help driverless cars navigate, by firing out millions of laser pulses and measuring how they bounce off the surroundings. But today’s lidar is expensive, and the industry’s main supplier, Velodyne, can’t keep up with demand. GM believes it can make it more smoothly in house.

Jack talks to the venture capitalists who want to slowly eliminate the humans from a stretch of highway between Vancouver, Canada, and Seattle, Washington. No, this is not a Walking Dead sitch—they posit that separating driverless cars from people-piloted ones will keep passengers safer.

US - Postal - Service - Vehicle - Prototype

I reported on the US Postal Service’s semiautonomous vehicle prototype. A human mail carrier will still have to hang at the wheel, sorting mail and delivering to mailboxes through the window. USPS wants to have these vehicles on 28,000 rural mail routes by 2025.

If you're more into totally driverless vehicles, head to the Golden State, where the Department of Motor Vehicles wants to make it easier for...
(Excerpt) Read more at: WIRED
29 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sometimes I Wake Up Grumpy. Other Times I Let Her Sleep