Susan Collins won't run for Maine governor's seat

Washington Examiner | 10/13/2017 | Al Weaver
Fubu_chik (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://cdn.washingtonexaminer.biz/cache/1060x600-97fca5353802a20217d4a2408f3e262d.jpg

Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, announced Friday that she will not run for governor in her home state and will remain in the Senate.

Collins made the announcement at a speech before the local chamber of commerce event in Maine Friday morning.

Sense - People - Maine - Nation - Collins

"Ultimately, I have been guided my sense of where I can do the most for the people of Maine, and for the nation," Collins said. "I have concluded that the best way that I can contribute to these priorities is to remain a member of the United States Senate."

Collins said she agonized over the decision after receiving support to run for the Augusta governor's mansion.

Nature - Governor - Job - Collins - Streets

"The ‘hands-on' nature of the governor's job is very appealing to me," Collins said. "Many who stopped me on the streets, in stores, at church, and in countless communities have also suggested that I could help heal the divisions in our state."

But Collins pointed to her standing within the U.S. Senate, where she ranks 15th in seniority and holds coveted positions on the Appropriations Committee, allowing her to secure funding for community projects and issues important to Maine.

Letter

She also read aloud a letter from...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Washington Examiner
24 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!