INSIDE THE SECOND COMING OF NEST

WIRED | 9/20/2017 | Steven Levy
monna (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.wired.com/photos/59c137b8a32752709e335dfa/191:100/pass/Nest17LEAD.jpg

“We have better light rings than any other products on the market,” says Adam Mittleman. This is a sentence that I have never before heard uttered by anyone, even after a long time living on Planet Earth. But because I am visiting Nest, and Mittleman is its Head of Product Design, working on a new gadget that this startup-turned-controversial Alphabet division is launching, I can’t say I am surprised. After all, light rings—the shimmering glow-circles that allow digital appliances to provide feedback—have been a leitmotif for Nest throughout its eventful journey of disrupting the home. Thermostats, smoke alarms, and now Nest’s new home security system signal users via rings. Nest has given a lot of thought to them. Literally years of thought.

Naturally, there is a light ring on the Nest Guard, which is the hub of the Nest Secure suite. That suite has been in the works since well before the company was acquired by Google in January 2014 and then underwent a second recalibration in October 2015 when Google made Nest one of the divisions (“bets”) in the Alphabet archipelago. Depending on the message the new Nest Guard wants to convey, its ring might glow red, yellow or green.

Steven - Levy - Backchannel - Editor - Chief

Steven Levy is Backchannel’s Editor in Chief.

Sign up to get Backchannel's weekly newsletter, and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Mittleman - Problems - Company - Attention - Design

Mittleman passionately cites the three potential problems that occur if a company does not pay attention to the design of its light rings. “One, the light is too direct, so that calls too much attention to itself,” he says. “Two, color uniformity can be really bad. Say, a yellow might look like some mix between oranges and reds and yellows, and it just doesn't look really good. Three, hotspots. That’s the most common affliction—they’ll be much brighter in one location and then...
(Excerpt) Read more at: WIRED
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: