G4S employee, 19, 'tried to blackmail the security giant into handing over £1m by threatening to detonate bombs fitted to its vehicles if he was not paid'

Mail Online | 9/13/2017 | Alex Matthews For Mailonline
just-me (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/09/13/20/443BC42200000578-0-image-a-20_1505329515906.jpg

A teenage security worker is accused of blackmailing G4S into handing over £1million after threatening to blow up its vehicles with bombs.

Daniel Garland, 19, is alleged to have sent a letter to the security giant's depot in Thornaby, Teesside, in January.

Garland - Bosses - Explosives - Vans - Harm

It is claimed Garland warned bosses he had fitted explosives to vans and that he would 'cause harm' to the partner and new-born baby of an employee while he was at work.

Garland, who used to work for G4S, denies two counts of blackmail at Teesside Crown Court.

G4S - Van - December - Middlesbrough - Raiders

A G4S van was robbed last December in Middlesbrough and the raiders, who got away with a substantial amount of cash, have not been caught.

Garland, from Chester-le-Street in County Durham, later claimed responsibility for the raid, the court was told.

Employees - Men - Information - £1million - Prosecutor

He named two employees as being 'inside men' and said they had been paid so much for their information that he now required a further £1million, prosecutor Paul Rooney told the court.

Garland wanted the cash to be loaded into a red Volvo lorry that would be parked outside the depot the next day.

Mr - Rooney - Letter - Manager - Dean

Mr Rooney read the letter, addressed to depot manager Dean Jeffels, to the jury.

It said: 'They [the two employees] were our eyes in the sky, they were the ones that helped us along the way.'

Help - Cost - Money - Benefit

Before continuing: 'Sadly, their help came at a cost, some of the money acquired was in their benefit.

'Tell (one of the employees) ''Thank you, we are sorry that we have to turn you in''.

Letter - Mini - Bombs - Number - G4S

The letter also stated the mini bombs had been fitted to a number of G4S and employees vehicles.

It warned: 'The bombs are all activated from a click of a button from our end, so I really hope you cooperate.

Team

'Our team will be heavily armed and are not scared to eliminate...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
17 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!