DACA Student Runs from ICE Agents on Season Finale of Freeform’s ‘The Fosters’

NewsBusters | 9/6/2017 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://cdn.newsbusters.org/images/the_fosters_intertitle_1.png

We have already learned about the fears held by Ximena (Lisseth Chavez) this season as her illegal immigrant parents face their fear of potential deportation. In the September 5th season finale of The Fosters on Freeform, titled “Prom,” direct aim was taken at the timely subject of DACA – Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. The writers of the show must be extra excited that President Trump that same day announced his intention to reform the Executive Order used by former President Obama to put DACA in place.

The episode began where the previous one left off, at the protest against a conservative speaker named Shiloh McCullen at the college campus where Ximena gave an impassioned speech.... against free speech.

Protesters - Immigrants - Speech - Speech

Protesters: Say it loud! Say it clear! Immigrants are welcome here! We teach free speech! We teach free speech!

Ximena: The real enemies of free speech are flamethrowers, like Shiloh McCullen, who seek to normalize hateful ideas that lead to violent actions against vulnerable communities. I know! I am an undocumented immigrant, and cruel xenophobic language has taken a toll on me and my family. This is a learning environment. Where a student's humanity should not be challenged as some excuse for free vicious speech.

Protestor - America - First - Go - Mexico

Protestor: America First! Go back to Mexico! Build a wall! Build a wall!

Ximena: All over our country, people like me are scared. That is not my America. And you don't need to be a citizen to recognize that.

Rest - Episode - Prom - Students - Anchor

The rest of the episode revolved around the senior prom for the students at Anchor Beach Community Charter School. At the prom, Callie (Maia Mitchell) and Ximena talk about the student demonstration that Callie left as it turned violent. Ximena explains to Callie that her father works two jobs and her mother works six days a week to provide their daughters with opportunities....
(Excerpt) Read more at: NewsBusters
Wake Up To Breaking News!