EXCLUSIVE: Yara Shahidi Gets Candid About Violent Charlottesville Rally: 'Racism Is Still So Prevalent'

Entertainment Tonight | 8/13/2017 | Staff
Click For Photo: http://www.etonline.com/media/video/2017/08/24349593/et_yarashahidi_081317_hulu.jpg

While this year's Teen Choice Awards was a celebration of pop culture, the specter of tragic violence at a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, weighed heavily on a lot of entertainers as they walked the red carpet before the show -- including Black-ish star Yara Shahidi.

The 17-year-old actress stopped to talk with ET's Lauren Zima, where she opened up about the disturbing rally and the conversations she's had with her castmates about the effect the violence has had on the public consciousness.

WATCH - Yara - Shahidi - Accepted - Into

WATCH: ‘Black-ish’s Yara Shahidi Accepted Into ‘Every College I Applied To’ Following Michelle Obama Recommendation!

"I think we're all in this strange state because it is, not to say unexpected, but with what's happening in Charlottesville is an example and the personification of hate in a way that hasn't been seen in such a long time," Shahidi said. "We've had these instances throughout the years in which you see unarmed black men being killed, or whatever the situation is, in which we are aware of the racism that already exists."

Actrss - Racism - Apparent - Charlottesville - Rally

The actrss said the racism apparent in the Charlottesville rally is something above and beyond the hatred that many are used to seeing on such a public scale.

"To see an entire rally and protest centered around the idea of an entire race being inferior or centered around this idea of hate, centered around this idea that they feel as though they have the space and privilege to be able to walk through [the University of Virginia] and make people terrified to even come outside I mean it's all so insane," she added.

Friday - Hundreds - Supremacists - University - Virginia

On Friday, hundreds of white supremacists marched through the University of Virginia holding torches and chanting as part of a so-called "Unite the Right" event.

The rally was met with a number of counter-protests made up of civil rights organization,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Entertainment Tonight
Wake Up To Breaking News!