Chief Afghan War Auditor: Wasteful Spending and Fraud ‘Kills’

Breitbart | 8/1/2017 | Staff
sheenabeanna (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://media.breitbart.com/media/2017/07/unnamed-1.jpg

WASHINGTON, D.C. — Wasteful spending and fraud involving the billions in American taxpayer funds devoted to the nearly 16-year-old war in Afghanistan can be fatal, warned the chief of the U.S. Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction (SIGAR), a watchdog agency.

“Fraud kills. There’s no way around it. That’s why I’m upset about fraud. That’s why I’m upset about waste. When we waste money, people get killed,” inspector general (IG) John Sopko told Breitbart News.

November - SIGAR - Fraud - Government - Contractors

In November 2015, SIGAR reported that fraud by government contractors in Afghanistan paved the way for insurgents to plant roadside bombs, also known as improvised explosive devices (IEDs), under highways and embankments that ultimately killed and wounded U.S. troops.

Moreover, Afghan corruption feeds on fraud, waste, and abuse. SIGAR has found that some corrupt officials in Afghanistan have diverted American taxpayer funds to the Taliban and other terrorist groups fighting against U.S. forces in the country.

Problems - Mismanagement - US - Funds - Afghanistan

Despite the fatal problems associated with the mismanagement of U.S. funds in Afghanistan, Sopko told Breitbart News he believes the American government has not reprimanded anyone for wasting taxpayer money.

As IG for the nation-building effort in Afghanistan, he said the lack of accountability is one of his tops concerns, noting:

State - Department - US - AID - Agency

When I start seeing the State Department and [US]AID [Agency for International Development] and DOD [Department of Defense] start firing people, start withholding salaries, withholding promotions for wasting taxpayers dollars then I would feel a heck of a lot better. I think it’s starting with Gen. [James] Mattis. He is the first secretary of defense to take an IG report and send it out to his senior officials and say let’s do something about it.

Sopko was referring to a recent SIGAR...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Breitbart
Wake Up To Breaking News!