Cryogenics, Robot Dinos, and Other Visions of the Future

WIRED | 5/23/2017 | Charley Locke
darkkazune (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.wired.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Giuliani_017-1200x630-e1495510661719.jpg

IN THE FUTURE, people will clone their dogs, stay at hotels staffed by robot dinosaurs, and eat bugs for dinner. Alberto Giuliani knows this, because he’s seen it.

The Italian photographer spent 15 months traveling the world documenting glimpses of the future for his series Surviving Humanity. The trip took him to eight countries, where he saw researchers attempting to bring back the wooly mammoth, atmospheric scientists firing lasers into clouds, and a big bubble that simulates life on Mars. “Reading news every day about climate change, migrants, wars, I understand that the future is not so clear,” says Giuliani. “I tried to understand what we are doing as human beings to face these challenges.”

Journey - January - Girlfriend - Son - World

His journey started in January, 2016, when his girlfriend’s 10-year-old son asked what the world might be like when he grew up. “Instead of saying something without any real meaning, I started to ask myself how it would be,” Giuliani says. He started googling companies and laboratories working to preserve or prepare humanity for the next few millennia. Then he started reading scientific journals, chatting with professors, and begging these places to let him in with a camera.

So far, he’s visited 14 locations around the world. He made the long trek to the Svalbard archipelago to see the Global Seed Vault, which contains 880,000 seed samples from 234 countries to protect the world’s...
(Excerpt) Read more at: WIRED
Wake Up To Breaking News!