Student, 26, who was almost blinded and lost 90% of her skin after taking common anti-seizure drug sues GlaxoSmithKline for more than $3 million

Mail Online | 5/10/2017 | Reporter
Click For Photo:

Click For Video:

A 26-year-old woman is suing GlaxoSmithKline after an anti-seizure drug burned off 90 percent of her skin, nearly blinded her, and forced her into a medically-induced coma.

Khaliah Shaw was a public health graduate student at Georgia College and State University when she was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and prescribed the medication, Lamotrigine, in 2013.

Month - Drug - Rash - Face - Skin

Within a month of taking the drug, she had developed a rash on her face, while the skin on her lips had started to peel off. Although she visited her local ER, she was initially diagnosed with the flu.

But two days later, Miss Shaw woke up in excruciating pain, with the skin on her face, neck, back and chest falling off and her mouth covered in blisters.

Reaction - Skin - Sight

The reaction left her skin permanently scarred, and she is slowly losing her sight.

Now, she and many others are suing GlaxoSmithKline for promoting the product without warning of the risks, claiming more than $3.45 million in medical costs.

Years - Company - Lawsuit - Failure - Drug

It comes five years after the company shelled out $3 billion in lawsuit for failure to report the drug's risks - before Shaw's incident.

'This did not have to happen,' Shaw, who lives 30 miles outside of Atlanta, told 'This was not just some sort of fluke in my opinion. This happened as a directly (sic) result of somebody's error.'

Lawsuit - Shaw - Bills - Amount - Treatment

The lawsuit says Shaw's medical bills amount to more than $3.45 million thus far, with far more expected as she continues with treatment.

When Shaw's reaction escalated into blisters, two days after being told she had the flu, she returned to the ER in Oconee County.

Medics - Miss - Shaw - Blog - Ordeal

However, medics were not sure what was wrong with her, according to Miss Shaw's blog, which she started writing after her ordeal. They reportedly isolated her, fearing she had an infectious disease.

After the student's condition deteriorated, she was...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to Long Room!

Where The World Finds Its News!