Scandal actress reveals her psoriasis agony: Katie Lowes's skin condition got so bad she canceled her engagement photo shoot

Mail Online | 3/23/2017 | Mary Kekatos For Dailymail.com
applecup (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/03/23/14/3E8EC0D500000578-0-image-a-4_1490280658578.jpg

Katie Lowes is known for playing the smart, confident Quinn Perkins on the TV hit Scandal.

But the brunette beauty wasn't always the self-assured person she is today.

Lowes - Psoriasis - Skin - Condition - Spots

Back in 2010, Lowes was diagnosed with psoriasis - a common skin condition that causes itchy and scaly spots on the body.

The discomfort that the actress felt was so severe that she canceled her engagement photo shoot.

Treatment - Lowes - Awareness - Disease - Confidence

Now, having found treatment, Lowes is raising awareness of the disease to inspire more confidence in fellow sufferers.

Back in 2010, Lowes booked her first major acting gig on the show Scandal, and she got engaged to her now-husband, actor Adam Shapiro.

'I - Life - Lowes - SELF

'I was the happiest I've ever been in my life,' Lowes told SELF.

'I was planning a wedding, and I was also working this job where all eyes were on me for the first time. The stress really triggered my skin to flare up.'

Lowes - Itchy - Spots - Scalp - Way

Lowes broke out in itchy and scaly spots that started at her scalp and spread all the way down her back.

'It was getting to a place where you definitely couldn't ignore it and pretend like this was something small,' she said.

Dermatologist - Psoriasis

That's then she went to a dermatologist and was diagnosed with psoriasis.

The condition affects about 7.5 million people in the US, according to the American Academy of Dermatology.

Skin - Cells - Times - Cells - Skin

Skin cells multiply up to 10 times faster than normal. As underlying cells reach the skin's surface and die, their sheer volume causes raised, red plaques covered with white scales.

The most common form, which Lowes was diagnosed with, is called plaque psoriasis.

Plaque - Psoriasis - Skin - Silvery - Scales

Plaque psoriasis is characterized by inflamed, red skin covered with silvery, white scales.

The skin disease's unique appearance can also make people self-conscious.

Psoriasis

Often thought to be contagious, psoriasis cannot be spread.

The severity of the condition can vary from person to person and even...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!