PARENTING THROUGH TRANSITION: CONFESSION OF A RECOVERING CONTROL FREAK

Parent Cue | 6/18/2010 | Holly Crawshaw
Click For Photo: http://theparentcue.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/parentingthroughtransistion.jpg

I started back to fulltime, in-office work this week, for the first time in over three years.

To be honest, my emotions over this transition have swung back and forth like a pendulum: Anxiety. Excitement. Guilt. Pride. Eagerness. Dread.

True—transitions - Insides - Soda - Victory

Well, it’s true—transitions make my insides feel like a shaken up (diet) soda can (that I would consider a nutritional victory, naturally).

Is that true for you? Does change make you want to pull the blankets over your head and binge-eat chocolate and watch bad/amazing reality TV while ignoring the phone/bills/responsibilities/all-the-things?

Change/transition - Cases - Time - Month - Two—

Why does change/transition, threaten to (or, in some cases, succeed in) paralyzing us? I mean, when’s the last time you looked back—even just a month or two— and thought, “Man, nothing’s really changed. My kids, my marriage, my job, my relationships . . . not one thing has changed?”

For me, it’s one major factor: Control. Or, more specifically, the lack thereof.

Thing - Control - Morning - Piñata - Someone

Let’s talk about this control thing. I mean, what do I really have control over? What I’m wearing to work? My 4-year-old told me this morning that I looked like a piñata. So. Maybe someone should take that control away from me before she starts swinging at me with a broomstick (this is a not an unlikely scenario, FYI).

The issue with craving control is that we’re never satisfied with how much control we have. We always, always, always want more. Control isn’t tangible. You can’t send it to its room. You can’t plead with control. You can’t tuck yourself in a warm blanket of control at night.

Battle

So why do we battle desperately to cling to control?

I remember driving home from the hospital with Lilah, my first-born. It was pouring rain and I was pretty sure her neck was broken or we’d installed the car seat incorrectly, because her head kept...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Parent Cue
Wake Up To Breaking News!
"Tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis