'I can never forgive the GP who gave my daughter the anxiety pills that she used to take her own life': The anguish of a mum who was kept in the dark about her 16-year-old's prescription

Mail Online | 11/21/2016 | Amanda Cable for the Daily Mail
smilingbearsmilingbear (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/11/21/21/3AA2752800000578-0-image-a-22_1479763811457.jpg

Annette McKenzie will never forget how happy her teenage daughter Britney appeared to be on the evening of July 6 this year.

'I keep replaying that night over and over again and she seemed in such a good mood,' says Annette.

'She - Friend - House - Cup - Tea

'She came in from a friend's house, made me a cup of tea and we sat together to watch Big Brother. It was so content and normal — with no signs anything was out of the ordinary.'

With her two younger children watching a video in another bedroom, Annette chatted away with Britney.

Drink - Plans - Weekend - Bed - Mum

'Then she made us both another drink, told me about her plans for the weekend and went to bed. I said I loved her and she replied cheerfully: 'Night, Mum, love you.' '

That night, Annette and her partner, Britney's father, Ray, went to bed believing their family was safe and well.

Days - Britney - GP - Glasgow - Home

They were unaware that 16 days earlier Britney had been to a GP near their Glasgow home complaining of panic attacks, depression, night-time fears and suicidal thoughts.

Nor did they know the GP — on her first and only meeting with the vulnerable teen — had prescribed her 84 propranolol tablets to be taken three times a day for a month.

Drug - Form - Beta-blocker - Beating - Heart

The drug, a form of beta-blocker, slows the beating of the heart. It is often used to treat high blood pressure, but is also prescribed for anxiety attacks.

As her parents slept, Britney chatted on social media and apparently received a message that upset her deeply.

Message - Friend - App - Snapchat - News

It has never been traced, but it is known she sent a message to a friend via the mobile app Snapchat saying: 'I so hate bad news.'

She then took an overdose.

Idea - Anything - Thud - Britney - Room

'I had no idea there was anything wrong until I heard a thud in Britney's room and a banging on the front door at...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.