Musings about Adolf Hitler based on the Book “Hitler’s Last Witness…”

Roger E. Olson | 11/10/2016 | Roger E. Olson
Pumpkinajn (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://media.patheos.com/Images/PC/PC_RogerOlson_bio.jpg

As faithful readers of this blog know, I have for many years been obsessed with Adolf Hitler. I think he was one of the most interesting people in history. But what really interests me in him is the paradox of the man. On the one hand, of course, he is generally considered to have been one of, if not the, most evil men in world history. On the other hand, by many accounts, especially of people who knew him intimately, he was quite ordinary and even likeable.

Recently I have been reading yet another book about Hitler by someone who knew him well—his personal bodyguard and aide-de-camp Rochus Misch. Misch lived from 1917 until 2013 and was the last survivor of the so-called Gotterdamerung—the end of the Nazi government and especially of the so-called “Reich Chancellery bunker” where Hitler and some of his friends and aides lived in the final days of the Third Reich.

Misch - Hitler - Anyone—as - Man - Head

Misch knew Hitler almost as well as anyone—as a man and not only as the German head of state and head of government. He became part of the inner circle of Hitler’s bodyguards and personal aides in 1940 and lived and worked inside the Reich Chancellery in Berlin, the Berghof near Berchtesgaden, and the Wolfschanze which was Hitler’s military headquarters in East Prussia during much of World War 2.

I have seen many “Hitler documentaries” in which Misch was interviewed. By his own account, in his autobiography Hitler’s Last Witness: Memoirs of Hitler’s Bodyguard (Frontline Books, 2014), Misch’s final years were bedeviled by journalists and others who would not leave him alone as he became, finally, the last living eyewitness to Hitler’s personal life.

Misch - Roles - Hitler - Bodyguard - Aide-de-camp

Misch served many roles as Hitler’s bodyguard and aide-de-camp but the important thing is that he, by all accounts, was extremely close to Hitler from...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Roger E. Olson
Wake Up To Breaking News!