Barr says Trump tweets 'make it impossible to do my job' amid Roger Stone drama

Fox News | 2/14/2020 | Gregg Re
maddyb7maddyb7 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cf-images.us-east-1.prod.boltdns.net/v1/static/694940094001/034ff4cc-71ec-4480-8e7f-4c78a29a8df4/aff7031e-a511-49bd-b238-3a766967fbfe/1280x720/match/image.jpg

Lawmakers, including Sens. Elizabeth Warren, called on Attorney General Bill Barr to resign over his handling of the sentencing of former Trump confidant Roger Stone; reaction and analysis from Former federal prosecutor and Fox News contributor Andrew McCarthy.

Attorney General Bill Barr told ABC News on Thursday that President Trump's tweets "make it impossible for me to do my job," in an unusual swipe at the president, although he emphasized that Trump "has never asked me to do anything in a criminal case."

Time - Department - Justice - Cases - Barr

"I think it’s time to stop the tweeting about Department of Justice criminal cases," Barr said. "I'm not going to be bullied or influenced by anybody ... whether it’s Congress, a newspaper editorial board, or the president.”

Barr continued, "I'm gonna do what I think is right, and you know... I cannot do my job here at the department with a constant background commentary that undercuts me."

Attorney - General - Courts - Prosecutors - Department

The attorney general said he could not "assure the courts and the prosecutors and the department that we're doing our work with integrity" if the executive branch appeared involved in DOJ decisionmaking.

Barr said he was "of course" ready for blowback from Trump for his comments, although he said he was focused only on doing his job. South Carolina GOP. Sen. Lindsey Graham quickly tweeted support for Barr, saying Barr has his "complete confidence" and that the president did a "a great service" to the DOJ and the "nation as a whole" by appointing Barr.

Barr - Remarks - Days - Trump - Tweet

Barr's unexpected remarks came days after Trump, in a late-night tweet earlier this week, criticized career Justice Department prosecutors for recommending a nine-year prison sentence for his former advisor Roger Stone.

Barr, speaking to ABC News, said that even prior to Trump's tweet Monday night, he was surprised to hear that DOJ prosecutors had sought the nine-year prison sentence, both because it...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Fox News
Wake Up To Breaking News!