Parkland School Shooting Survivors Recall Harrowing Details in ‘Voices of Parkland’ Documentary

Variety | 2/13/2020 | Nicholas White

Two years after the deadliest high school shooting in U.S. history, leaving 17 dead and 17 others wounded, the painful memories Parkland survivors take with them illustrate those affected by the tragedy are still experiencing residual trauma.

For instance, the mouth smell of gunpowder serves as a particular trigger.

Dylan - Kraemer - Kids - Shooting - Talks

“Dylan Kraemer, one of the kids [who survived the shooting], talks about how the smell is in his mouth and his nose,” Jeff Vespa, who directed the documentary “Voices of Parkland,” told Variety at the film’s premiere Wednesday at the Theatre at the Ace Hotel in downtown Los Angeles, recalling the Parkland survivors’ stories he gathered in the days after the shooting.

“Just to say, ‘the smell is in my mouth.’ You get it. You understand what he’s talking about,” Vespa said. “That’s not something you think about. You never think, ‘What does it smell like in a school shooting?’”

Survivors - Judd - Apatow-produced - €? - Student

Two survivors featured in the Judd Apatow-produced documentary — student Kai Koerber and April Schentrup, mother of 16-year-old victim Carmen Schentrup — attended the premiere event and participated in a Q&A panel onstage after the screening, discussing memories of the fateful day.

“Parasite” made history at the 92nd Academy Awards on Sunday night, becoming the first foreign language film to win best picture. The victory caps off an improbable awards season run for the South Korean thriller.

Week - Schentrup - Variety - Tears - Story

“It’s definitely not easy, and especially this week,” Schentrup told Variety, holding back tears, when asked about sharing her story publicly. “I’d rather stay busy and try to do what I can to help people understand that this can happen to anyone. It happened to our family. It happens every day to so many in America.”

Koerber, now a freshman at University of California-Berkeley, has been a part of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student advocacy movement against gun violence,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
The American Government, working tireless for everyone, except Americans.