USA Gymnastics offered to pay Larry Nassar survivors an estimated $250,000 each — their attorney says the settlement is 'DOA'

Business Insider | 11/22/2017 | Paulina Cachero
OmnistaOmnista (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.insider.com/5e346f16e0e1443c9e20c18f?width=1200&format=jpeg&imgtype=.jpg

On Thursday, USA Gymnastics offered to pay Larry Nassar survivors $215 million as a part of a plan to emerge out of bankruptcy.

The USA Gymnastics settlement offer would amount to an estimated $250,000 for each survivor suing the athletic organization.

Attorneys - Survivors - Insider - Settlement - Offer

Attorneys representing survivors told Insider they plan to reject the settlement, saying the offer is a "punch in the gut."

Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.

Thursday - USA - Gymnastics - Athletes - Physician

On Thursday, USA Gymnastics offered to pay athletes abused by former physician Larry Nassar $215 million to settle all the lawsuits against the athletic organization.

Attorneys representing the athletes, who estimate the settlement would amount to $250,000 for each survivor, scoffed at the proposed plan, which they say is "dead on arrival."

Plan - DOA - Attorney - John - Manly

"This proposed plan is DOA," attorney John Manly told Insider. "I wouldn't recommend the acceptance of this plan to my worst enemy let alone my clients."

"I think anyone who believes $250,000 is a fair settlement for being sexually assaulted hundreds of times by your trusted doctor is either a Roman Catholic Bishop or apparently an executive at USOPC or USAG," Manly told Insider.

US - Olympic - Paralympic - Committee - Settlement

Manly also criticized the US Olympic and Paralympic Committee for not contributing to the financial settlement, claiming the proposed plan would protect USOPC from further litigation. USOPC did not immediately reply to Insider's request for comment.

Under the guise of medical treatment, the long-time USA Gymnastics national team doctor and physician at Michigan State University sexually abused hundreds of athletes under his care. Over 350 athletes, including Olympic champions Simone Biles, Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman, and McKayla Maroney, have publicly accused Nassar of sexually abusing them. After numerous emotional testimonies from victims that laid bare the emotional toll of his misconduct, the disgraced physician was sentenced up...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Business Insider
Wake Up To Breaking News!