Why Christians Support Abortion (And How We Can Change That)

The Gospel Coalition | 1/25/2020 | Joe Carter
adele2234adele2234 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.thegospelcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/24175002/abortion-protests.jpg

Almost 50 years after Roe v. Wade, a new Marist poll shows that When asked to align with one side of the abortion debate, a majority of Americans describe themselves as pro-choice. The disturbing implication is that this means that a large number of those who claim to be faithful Christians are not pro-life.

Currently, about 71 percent of Americans self-identify as Christians, though if we exclude Mormons and Jehovah’s Witness, that figure drops to 68 percent. Based on the Marist poll, we can conclude that about 29 percent of self-identified Christians—almost one in three—do not consider themselves to be pro-life on the issue of abortion. How is it possible for such a large swath of believers to support such evil? Is it even possible to be a faithful Christian and support abortion? I don’t think it is.

Jesus - Commandments - John - Suggestion—it - Jesus

Jesus said, “If you love me, you will keep my commandments” (John 14:15). That’s not a suggestion—it’s framed as an imperative. Those who love Jesus keep his commandments. The corollary is that those who do not keep his commandments do not truly love Jesus. Loving Jesus is the de minimis standard for identifying as a Christian. If you do not truly love Jesus—if you do not even attempt to keep his commandments—you should not call yourself a Christian. This should not be a controversial assertion.

And yet it will be, for many people think they can identify as orthodox believers and reject Jesus’s commandment prohibiting the taking of innocent life. The command was first given by God to Moses as one of the Ten Commandments on two separate occasions (Ex. 20:13 and Deut. 5:17). In the New Testament, we also find the commandment reconfirmed by Jesus (Matt. 5:21), and reiterated by his apostle, Paul (Rom. 13:9). But does it apply to abortion?

Kevin - DeYoung - Notes

As Kevin DeYoung notes,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!