Personality Tests Don’t Excuse Your Sin

The Gospel Coalition | 1/25/2020 | Christa Threlfall
yana.booyana.boo (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://media.thegospelcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/08140233/green-chameleon-s9CC2SKySJM-unsplash1.jpg

I never thought much about the terms “extrovert” and “introvert” until I got married and wondered why my spouse and I were so different. Take Sunday, for example: the most social day of our week. My husband is the pastor, and we are often meeting visitors after services. He seems to thrive on this type of interaction—plus, he’s really good at it. The idea of walking up to a group of new people and joining in on their conversation energizes him.

I, on the other hand, have often found refuge by extended stays in the restroom. This way I can avoid the awkwardness of meeting new people and running out of conversation topics, while also not appearing selfish.

Choice - Meeting - People - Explanation - Introversion

It would be easy for me to excuse this choice to avoid meeting people with the explanation that I tend toward introversion. But is it okay for me to shy away from people because it makes me uncomfortable?

You may have noticed a major emphasis over the last few years on discovering your personality type or Enneagram number. Much of this research has been incredibly helpful. Identifying the strengths and weaknesses of your personality (and the personalities of those around you) can enable you to better relate to those unlike you.

Proponents - Tests - Enneagram - Value - Weaknesses

Christian proponents of tests like the Enneagram affirm their value to diagnose our weaknesses and encourage us in Christlikeness. “The strength of the Enneagram is that it exposes where we might need healing and what vices might be causing division with others and even within ourselves,” John Starke writes. “As Christians, we use the Enneagram as a tool to find healing not by becoming our true selves but by finding ourselves more truly in Christ.”

But I’ve noticed another side to this well-intentioned journey of self-knowledge. Sometimes, instead of using our personality-test results as a tool,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Government, where everything works great, until something has to work.