Don't Brush Off Mouth Tech As a Passing Fad

Wired | 1/24/2020 | Lauren Goode
elio25elio25 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.wired.com/photos/5e2a39d8aba9d90008bbb63b/191:100/w_1280,c_limit/Gear-Mouth-Tech-1196232702.jpg

But, damnit, I liked the floss. I make it a point to carry floss and use it a few times per day, but that’s your standard waxy drug-store variety. It hadn’t occurred to me before that expanding floss, which grows thicker when it comes in contact with saliva, could be better for teeth like mine that are crowded (known as “tight contact” in dentistry). The charcoal infusion seemed to do little more than offer a dark palette for the grimy bits of food to land on. But the floss’s minty scent tricked my brain into thinking my mouth must be that much cleaner than when I use unscented floss.

Both the floss and the AI toothbrush had surprised me. They seemed subjectively better than the basic oral care products I had been using for years. But they had also sparked a desire for the potentially unnecessary, as newfangled things are prone to do. I was now tempted to track, to measure, to optimize. These products promised actual cleanliness—not “clean” in the nebulous way that so many wellness products are—and with it, a certain kind of access to better health. I recalled the time at a women’s conference late last year when a meditation coach started promoting her own line of ayurvedic mouth care products, products that you’re supposed to eat and sniff and swish before brushing and flossing. My Goop-y senses were on high alert.

Was - Care

Was any of this really necessary? No. It was not. But is mouth care important? Unanimously, yes.

The connection between our oral health and our overall health is something that only really came into public awareness around 2000, following the release of the first US Surgeon General’s report on oral health, says Lisa Berens. Berens is an associate professor at UCSF’s School of Dentistry who researches dental public...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Wired
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: