Woman given puberty-blockers joins High Court fight to stop the drugs being prescribed to children

Mail Online | 1/22/2020 | Henry Martin For Mailonline
josh567josh567 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2020/01/22/17/23735548-0-image-a-10_1579714302336.jpg

A woman who 'seriously regrets' being given 'experimental' puberty blockers has joined a High Court battle over the practice so children do not endure the 'torturous and unnecessary path' she did.

The Tavistock and Portman NHS Trust, which runs the UK's only gender identity development service (GIDS) for children, is being sued over concerns that youngsters are being given 'experimental treatment' without adequate assessments.

Judge - Landmark - Case - Mr - Justice

The judge in the landmark case, Mr Justice Supperstone, has now ruled that 23-year-old Keira Bell, who was previously treated at the service, should be made a claimant.

Barrister Jeremy Hyam QC said Ms Bell 'underwent the treatment that is in issue in the proceedings', adding: 'She now very seriously regrets the process and feels that the way it was handled and her involvement in it was not appropriate and her approach is to say, essentially, this should not happen to anyone else.'

Case - Woman - Mrs - A - Mother

The case was brought by a woman known only as Mrs A - the mother of a 15-year-old autistic girl who is currently on the waiting list for treatment at the service - and Susan Evans, 62, who was previously employed by the Tavistock as a psychiatric nurse.

Ms Evans has claimed the practice was willing to offer drugs to children under 16, and even as young as nine or 10.

Mr - Hyam - Ms - Evans - Claim

Mr Hyam said Ms Evans 'commenced the claim and continues to support it', but that she now wishes Ms Bell to be her 'substitute' in the case.

In a statement after today's hearing in London, Ms Bell said: 'I have become a claimant in this case because I do not believe that children and young people can consent to the use of powerful and experimental hormone drugs like I did.

System - Place - Tavistock

'I believe that the current affirmative system put in place by the Tavistock is inadequate as it...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Don't touch that, you don't know where it's been.