Hollywood Hit Jobs: 6 Times TV Shows Fantasized About Removing the President from Office

NewsBusters | 1/22/2020 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://cdn.newsbusters.org/images/our_cartoon_president_-_culture_war_-_08_00_51_pm.jpg

The impeachment trial in the Senate is finally underway, but this has been a long time coming for Hollywood. Ever since election night 2016 they have been desperate for ways to overturn the results. Their fevered dreams of removing Trump from office, especially via impeachment or the 25th Amendment, have bled over into their tv scripts. Whether its addressing Trump directly or using other presidential characters as stand-ins to show how easy it could be, several shows have had storylines about the president being removed in the Trump era.

Here are the top six.

Season - Madam - President - Elizabeth - McCord

In its final season in 2019, the recently elected Madam President Elizabeth McCord (Téa Leoni) faces an impeachment inquiry but is saved when a Republican breaks ranks and the country rallies in support of her. In 2018, the January 14 episode “Sound and Fury” was the first show to invoke the 25th Amendment against an "unfit" president. The episode even ends with a sanctimonious speech calling those who voted to invoke the 25th Amendment the “true American heroes" without whom "our democracy would be lost," sounding like a direct plea to members of Trump's cabinet.

Dalton: Finally, I'd like to pay tribute to the resiliency of our Constitution, a 230-year-old document that has endured the challenges of every stage of our nation's journey. Our government is built on an ingenious foundation of principles and laws, and though the people within that system are fallible, the system itself is devised to withstand anything, even an unfit president. The fact that the system worked as it should proves that our democracy is as strong as ever. I thank the brave cabinet secretaries who voted to invoke the 25th Amendment. They are all true American heroes and patriots. They put their country ahead of their personal relationship with me. That's what separates...
(Excerpt) Read more at: NewsBusters
Wake Up To Breaking News!