Why This Eagles Fan Is Rooting For Andy Reid

The Federalist | 1/22/2020 | David Marcus
max1max1 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://thefederalist.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Screen-Shot-2020-01-22-at-10.46.32-AM.png

One of the stranger memories I have is from 2011. My brother was up from Philly and wanted to check out Occupy Wall Street. A march was going on and Jon, a bit of a bon vivant, jumped on a light pole and started chanting “Fire The Fat Man! Fire Andy Reid!” The crowd seems confused but I was amused and frankly shared his sentiment. Reid would get one more season as the head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles before we got our wish and he was shown the door.

In retrospect, as an Eagles fan I don’t regret the firing of Reid after fourteen mostly successful seasons, it was time, and a few years later we got our Super Bowl win. But I also look back quite fondly on a lot of his tenure and I can’t help but rooting for him to finally get a ring when his Kansas City Chiefs square off against the San Francisco 49ers in the Super Bowl.

Reid - NFL - Coach - Super - Bowl

Reid might be the most successful NFL coach to have never won the Super Bowl, and his time in Philly is a big part of why. Over 14 seasons, the Eagles only had a losing record three times. Of those three, one was his first year and one was his last. From a fan perspective this is a huge deal, especially in football where games are so few and precious. Watching the Eagles play meaningful games with playoff implications in November and December was just something we got accustomed to, and frankly probably didn’t appreciate enough.

But at the end of the day, big games matter, especially in Philadelphia at the time. The city was in the midst of a champion drought that lasted from 1983 to 2008 when the Phillies won the World Series. Between 1999 and 2008...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Federalist
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Goverment, no matter how big, is always a big problem.
Tagged: