When Worship Is Resistance: Hymn for the 81%

Red Letter Christians | 1/22/2020 | Shane Claiborne
Click For Photo: https://www.redletterchristians.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/worship-leaders-in-oval-office.jpg

I appreciate a wide playlist of worship music, ranging from old hymns and freedom songs to Gospel choirs, Gregorian chants, and traditional bluegrass. I can even get my worship groove on to U2 and Sweet Honey in the Rock. But it’s hard for me to find many contemporary Christian songs that move me.

It’s partly because a lot of contemporary worship music doesn’t have the best theology. Many of the lyrics focus entirely on going to heaven when we die rather than reminding us that we have a mission to transform the earth while we are alive — to bring God’s “Kingdom on earth as it is in heaven,” as Jesus put it. Many worship songs speak of a God who saves individuals from their sins but miss the part of our faith that is about God redeeming the world.

Worship - Imaginations - €? - Version - Christianity

Worship shapes our imaginations — theologically, socially, politically. We can end up with a version of Christianity that is so heavenly-minded it’s not much earthly good. And we can end up with a version of Christianity that sings about a God who tears down walls but supports a president who builds them.

So it was equally unsurprising and heartbreaking to see dozens of prominent worship leaders gather recently at the White House to praise Jesus and bless Trump. It was a reminder that the same folks that led many of us to Christ have also led us to Trump. The same people who are writing worship songs to Jesus are defending a president whose policies and priorities are a direct contradiction to the core teachings of Jesus — things like welcoming the stranger, caring for the poor, and loving our enemies.

Day - Heart - Evangelicals - Remnant - Support

Every day, it breaks my heart that white evangelicals are the primary remnant of support that Trump enjoys and exploits… the 81 percent...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Red Letter Christians
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Nie wieder, unelected bureaucrat's running our country
Tagged: