The Divorce of a Pastor’s Wife in 1860 Texas

Anxious Bench | 1/22/2020 | Staff
itsdonaldkitsdonaldk (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/168/2020/01/IMG_5802-e1579623829288.jpg

Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/168/2020/01/IMG_5802-768x576.jpg

This is from my Anxious Bench archives. I am working hard on book chapters, but never fear I will be back soon. I wanted to post this again for two reasons.

First–it is one of my favorite local history posts (that probably many of my readers haven’t seen, since it is from 2016), and I thought it was poignant given Wayne Grudem’s recent public change on his stance on divorce. He just admitted that divorce is probably okay in the case of abuse. Delilah Morrell’s story shows us how differently protestants have regarded topics like divorce over time. I don’t think we would accuse the nineteenth-century Baptists at Little River Baptist church of not taking the Bible seriously or not being the “true church” (as Owen Strachan recently seemed to declare was accurate only for those who agreed with him). Yet they thought rather differently about divorce than Wayne Grudem.

Second–I - Week - World - Just - Week

Second–I wrote this literally the week before our world shattered. Just one week after this in 2016, my husband was suddenly fired from the church he had served as youth pastor for almost 15 years. For those of you who don’t know this story, you can read about it here and here. I remember being so careful in this post, as I was writing it, to make sure that I told the historical truth but also trying to make sure I wouldn’t say anything that would jeopardize our ministry. We have a much better perspective now, over three years later, and I am grateful to be free as a writer.

I went to a perfect wedding last weekend.

Heart - Central - Texas - Wide - Fields

It was deep in the rural heart of Central Texas. Wide open fields dotted with cattle and the occasional John Deer tractor were broken by scattered farm houses. The roads were narrow and dusty;...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Anxious Bench
Wake Up To Breaking News!