Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2020/01/20/16/23642494-0-image-a-16_1579537380770.jpgClick For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2020/01/20/41740132520538698/1024x576_MP4_41740132520538698.mp4
Shocking pictures have revealed the extent of the damage caused to a 150-year-old place of worship which has been reduced to rubble after a tower collapsed on it.
Emergency services were called to Grade II-listed St John the Baptist Church in High Toynton, Lincolnshire on Sunday morning, after a historic tower, built-in 1872, came down without warning.
Area - Village - Places - UK - Servicemen
The area is known as a 'doubly thankful' village, as it is one of only 14 places in the UK where all servicemen came back from worth World Wars.
Sniffer dogs were brought in by the fire service to search the rubble for bodies - but fortunately nobody was reported injured.
Church - Parishioners - Service - Sunday
The church would usually have been packed with parishioners but there was not a service on Sunday.
The remains of the church have been cordoned off by police while an online fundraiser has been set up to help raise £100,000 towards the cost of the repairs.
Engineer - Site - Morning - Reverend - Charles
A structural engineer was inspecting the site this morning with the Reverend Charles Patrick.
He said: 'It's obviously a great shock to see the devastation and a great gaping hole.
Fire - Service - Job - Dogs - Nobody
'The fire service did a thorough job and brought in dogs just to ensure nobody was found.'
Horncastle Police tweeted: 'We have been supporting the community of High Toynton with Horncastle firefighters after the collapse of the church tower.
Injuries - Community - Hours - Checks - Site
'No injuries to report thankfully and we will be supporting the community with regular 24 hours checks of the site.'
Police and Crime Commissioner for Lincolnshire, Marc Jones, also tweeted: 'What a terrible shock for the whole community.
Everyone - Sight
'Glad that everyone is safe but what a sad sight to see.'
There has been a parish church at the site since the 13th century and the current building was constructed using mainly greenstone in 1872 by Ewan Christian.
Wake Up To Breaking News!