Trump To Take On Birth Tourism… Finally

HotAir | 1/20/2020 | Staff
jenn1020jenn1020 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://hotair.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Montana-baby.jpg

SEE ALSO: Dershowitz clarifies: You don’t need a statutory crime to impeach but you do need “criminal-like conduct”

The Trump administration has a new target on the immigration front — pregnant women visiting from other countries — with plans as early as this week to roll out a new rule cracking down on “birth tourism,” three administration officials told Axios.

Trump - Birthright - Citizenship - Anchor - Babies

Why it matters: Trump has threatened to end birthright citizenship and railed against immigrant “anchor babies.” The new rule would be one of the first tangible steps to test how much legal authority the administration has to prevent foreigners from taking advantage of the 14th Amendment’s protection of citizenship for anyone born in the U.S.

“This change is intended to address the national security and law enforcement risks associated with birth tourism, including criminal activity associated with the birth tourism industry,” a State Department official told Axios.

Administration - Details - Rules - Maneuver - Majority

The administration isn’t releasing any details of the new rules yet, but this is going to be a tricky maneuver to pull off. The majority of these birth tourists are women who enter the country temporarily on a Class B visa. B-1 visas are issued for business trips and B-2 visas are for tourists. It’s unclear how any useful restrictions would be placed on the application process.

TRENDING:

Application - Applicant - Change - Court - Challenge

Would the application be changed to ask the applicant if they are pregnant, and if so, how far along they are? That sounds like a change that would be ripe for an immediate court challenge from the usual suspects. Of course, any move Trump makes on the immigration front will be automatically challenged anyway, so I suppose that doesn’t matter.

I wrote about this subject almost one year ago, asking whether it was time to start cracking down on this activity. At the time, however, I was struggling with the question of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: HotAir
Wake Up To Breaking News!
2KXVI