The smart glasses that could be ready for my eyes

CNET | 1/20/2020 | Staff
MijacMijac (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet1.cbsistatic.com/img/jxPnVe_FRC2NtlQP2507Do3el4Q=/756x567/2019/12/09/feedd068-ab4d-45df-8b5e-b4fc55bce138/focals2-0-teasehero-02-rgb-3000x1543.jpg

These smart glasses look completely normal.

This story is part of CES 2020, our complete coverage of the showroom floor and the hottest new tech gadgets around.

Pair - Glasses - Pair - Photo - Share

I saw a pair of smart glasses that looked almost like my own regular pair. I tried them on. I wish I had a photo to share with you, but North's Focals 2.0 were in total stealth mode in Las Vegas during CES 2020. I was lucky enough to sneak in and try them on at the end of my week looking at emerging tech.

If this all sounds familiar to you, you're not the only one. I'm having deja vu because I tried on this company's smart glasses last year, and had similar thoughts. But North's original smart glasses have been discontinued to introduce a new model. And I can see why: The Focals seem thinner now, and a lot more normal.

Normal - Glasses - Glasses - Glasses - Shocker

Normal doesn't mean I'd always wear them. Smart glasses need to be good everyday glasses, too. I wear glasses because (shocker) I need to. My severe nearsightedness can be corrected with contacts, but glasses are easy. And my -8.5-range myopia hasn't worked with other prescription VR and AR eyewear such as Magic Leap, Oculus' VR lens inserts or last year's first-gen North Focals.

North's executives have told me, however, that Version 2.0 should work with my prescription. The new hardware no longer projects onto the lens from afar,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: