Doctors fear immunotherapy could actually make cancer WORSE

Mail Online | 1/20/2020 | Barney Calman for The Mail on Sunday
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2020/01/18/18/23563074-0-image-a-47_1579372056604.jpg

Last summer, Joseph McMullan learned that he would become one of the first British patients to receive CAR-T therapy – a breakthrough cancer treatment designed to turbo-charge the immune system to seek out and destroy tumour cells.

He believed he’d been thrown a lifeline after chemotherapy failed. The treatment has, with some justification, been dubbed a game-changer, a miracle cure, and even ‘magic’: in trials, some patients with seemingly untreatable and aggressive illness had been brought back from the brink.

Excitement - Forms - CAR-T - Therapy - Year

Such is the excitement over its potential that forms of CAR-T therapy were rapidly approved last year by the NHS for adults – and children – with specific types of blood cancer.

Joseph, 31, has a type of lymphoma – cancer of the lymphatic system, which is part of the immune system. He was eligible for the treatment and felt optimistic.

Stories - People - Airport - Worker - Coatbridge

‘I’d heard the stories of people being cured,’ said the airport worker from Coatbridge, near Glasgow. ‘I was nervous, having such a new treatment but I just thought, it was the best chance I’d got.

Sadly, CAR-T didn’t work for Joseph. In fact, he believes it has made his illness worse. Rather than his immune system, it is his cancer that has become turbo-charged.

Weeks - Procedure - Process - Cells - Lab

Within five weeks of undergoing the procedure – a two-month process in which immune cells are extracted, doctored in a lab and later reintroduced into the patient’s body – a tumour already in his abdomen began to grow rapidly.

The tumour is so large that it is crushing his kidneys and blocking the circulation to his pelvis.

Course - Cancer - Way - Treatment

Of course, the cancer may have progressed this way, regardless of what treatment he had. But could he be right?

According to emerging evidence, the worrying answer is yes – with some cancer experts claiming that there is an ‘urgent need’ for more research to reveal exactly...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care