As China Seeks To Spark Night Economy, On-Demand Chauffeurs For Drunk Drivers See Surge

www.oann.com | 1/10/2020 | Staff
srqlolosrqlolo (Posted by) Level 3
BEIJING (Reuters) – It was freezing and the streets were slick as substitute driver Liu Pengfei bade farewell to his mother, wife and son before riding into Beijing on his tiny scooter.

Liu, 33, and his fellow drivers make their living getting drunk people safely home. And with Beijing urging restaurants, entertainment venues and public transportation to extend hours in a bid to boost consumption, Liu’s clients on DiDi Chuxing, China’s biggest ride-hailing service platform, have multiplied.

Orders - Midnight - Lot - Customers - Entertainment

“My orders after midnight have grown a lot, and a third more of my customers are asking me to drive them to the next entertainment spot instead of going home,” Liu said. “(Our) business makes the most money in the later half of the night.”

His rates triple after midnight.

Payoff - Liu - Miles - Home - Hebei

The high payoff has lured Liu to travel 20km (12 miles) from his home in nearby Hebei province daily. He earned 12,000 yuan ($1,742) a month on average last year. In some months, he raked in nearly 19,000 yuan, more than two times the average Beijing salary.

He and other drivers hang around night...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.oann.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!