Philadelphia MOVE 9 member Delbert Africa released from prison on parole, 42 years after cop's death

Mail Online | 8/8/1978 | Leah Simpson For Dailymail.com
jenn1020jenn1020 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2020/01/19/15/23596342-0-image-a-54_1579449071772.jpg

One of the Philadelphia MOVE 9 has been released on parole after almost 42 years in prison for a crime he maintains he did not do.

Delbert Orr Africa emerged from State Correction Institution - Dallas in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, with his arms splayed resembling the shape of a cross, four decades after he first held the Christ-like during a deadly police siege of 1978.

Freed - Man - Relatives - Prison - Walls

The freed man, 73, hugged relatives and cried as he stepped out from behind prison walls on Saturday following a lengthy time inside for the third-degree murder of officer James Ramp.

His road to prison began after notoriously brutal mayor Frank Rizzo complained the black liberation group was a nuisance, citing violation of the health code and weapons violation.

Months - Clashing - Cops - Commune - Guns

After 15 months of clashing, cops entered their commune with guns and a water cannon and a police shootout ended with officer Ramp being killed by a single bullet.

Images from the siege show members including the Move 9 - five male and four female members - being treated with excessive force as they are arrested.

Surrendering - Images - Attorney - Brad - Thomson

Despite his apparent surrendering, shocking black and white images that were shared by attorney Brad Thomson upon his release, show the cops jabbing him in the neck with a rifle, dragging him by his hair and kicking him in the head.

'A cop hit me with his helmet. Smashed my eye. Another cop swung his shotgun and broke my jaw,' Delbert told the Guardian while incarcerated.

Anything - Till - Dude - Hair - Cops

'I went down, and after that I don't remember anything till I came to and a dude was dragging me by my hair and cops started kicking me in the head.'

The MOVE 9 were Chuck, Delbert, Eddie, Janet, Janine, Merle, Michael, Phil, and Debbie Africa.

Group - Bullet - Police - Officer

The group insists a stray bullet from police killed the officer but they were convicted for his...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
2KXVI