Qelling Qassem

libertyunbound.com | 1/7/2020 | Staff
jesse456jesse456 (Posted by) Level 3
As libertarians, you would assume I am not writing this to defend the president, but, in the unlikely event this reflection escapes into the wild, I want to go on record that I did not vote for him last time around. I will not vote for him next time, I do not believe we should have troops in Iraq, and I do not think he should have killed Qassem Soleimani last week.

I think we should have done it years ago . . . the moment we first had him in our sights. I can speak with some authority on this because, half a century ago, the moral cowardice of doing nothing cost me five months in a series of army hospitals and the lives of something like 19 of my buddies.

Patrol - Boat - Vietnam - Lot - Others

Back when I drove a patrol boat in Vietnam I was assigned, along with a lot of others, Americans and soldiers of the Republic of Vietnam, to guard a bridge across the Saigon River. The North Vietnamese, naturally, wanted to blow up that bridge. They only had one group of sappers capable of doing that, and only four bridges in South Vietnam worth their effort. Three were on the coast. Ours was inland near the Cambodian border.

The moral cowardice of doing nothing cost me five months in a series of army hospitals and the lives of something like 19 of my buddies.

Thing - Sappers - Squad - Level - Sergeant

The odd thing is, we knew where the sappers were. We knew it at the squad level because, every now and then, our sergeant would update us.

“They’re in Hanoi, resting and refitting,” was the first thing we heard.

Weeks - Hanoi - Coast - Hook - Ho

A few weeks later they’d disappeared from Hanoi. “If they show up on the coast, we’re off the hook. If they’re coming down the Ho Chi Minh trail, they’re heading for us.”

Then,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: libertyunbound.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: