Cynthia Erivo Talks Singing Live on Set for ‘Genius: Aretha’

Variety | 1/17/2020 | Will Thorne
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2020/01/shutterstock_editorial_10521936ly.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Cynthia Erivo confirmed the rumor that she is indeed singing live on set for “Genius: Aretha.”

During the Nat Geo series’ Television Critics’ Association press tour pane, Erivo discussed how singing live allowed her to capture the voice and essence of the Queen of Soul Aretha Franklin.

Singing - Language - Rumor - Set - Erivo

“Singing is my second language, the rumor is true, I do sing live on set,” Erivo said. “It allows me to connect to her music in a way, to open up and be vulnerable and to express the things that you can’t say. It means I can be in the moment and don’t have to fabricate it, it’s there in the words and the moment and the lyrics.”

Erivo also shared the moment she knew she had to say yes to playing Aretha: She was meeting with showrunner Suzan-Lori Parks for decisive talks and suddenly, an Aretha Franklin song came over the speakers.

Signs - Time - Thing

“We’d been leaving ourselves open to the signs that are coming to us. It was the first time I thought to myself yes, this is the right thing to do,” she said.

Asked to compare her and Franklin’s powerful singing voices, Erivo said the main difference is in their respective life experiences and the fact that she has “learned so much from Aretha” and not...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!