2 steps to take control of your money again after a divorce, according to a financial planner

Business Insider | 1/17/2020 | Liz Knueven
max1max1 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://i.insider.com/5e2200fb24306a6f703f3af4?width=1200&format=jpeg&imgtype=.jpg

Divorce is difficult both personally and financially, and rebuilding your financial life on your own can be difficult.

A financial planner suggests that anyone dealing with divorce take stock of what their financial life will look like post-divorce, and decide where they want to be.

Planner - Goals - Advice

Then, she suggests finding a financial planner to help achieve those goals with objective financial advice.

Divorce is expensive.

Support - Debt - Costs - Divorce - Insider

Whether you're paying spousal support, paying down debt, or dealing with the costs of a divorce itself, it's not cheap. As Insider's Erin McDowell reports, the average cost of a divorce in the US is $15,000 per person for all the fees, mediation, and attorneys involved.

If you're faced with figuring out how to rebuild your financial life after a divorce, the most important thing is to assess your situation, and then find a professional to help, according to Ylisa Sanford, a financial planner and Ameriprise private wealth adviser based in Santa Rosa, California.

Step - Sanford - Advice - Analysis - Life

Knowing where you're starting is the first step, Sanford says. "It's extremely important to start out not with implementing advice, but to start out with analysis," she says. "That really needs to be asking yourself, 'What is my new normal? What does my new life look like? And, where do I want to be?'"

"Part of what people are required to do in the process of divorce is go through their different expenses," Sanford continues. This might also be a good time to draw up a budget for your new life, check in on your saving and spending habits, and check on your retirement savings, too.

People

"I really suggest people start out with just analyzing where they are and where they want to be," she says.

Her next step: Find a good financial planner. "Start working with someone who, in my recommendation, can act as a fiduciary...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Business Insider
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Goverment, no matter how big, is always a big problem.