Ex-White Sox RHP McDowell: La Russa Had Sign-Stealing System

www.oann.com | 7/10/2012 | Staff
jenny1246jenny1246 (Posted by) Level 3
Former Cy Young Award winner Jack McDowell added more nasty history to the sign-stealing scandal on Friday by going back to the 1980s and implicating former Chicago White Sox manager Tony La Russa, who is now a member of the Hall of Fame.

McDowell, who debuted as a major league pitcher for the White Sox in 1987 but never played for La Russa, said the manager was responsible for installing a camera-aided sign-stealing system at old Comiskey Park.

Friday - Interview - Mac - Attack - WFNZ-AM

In a Friday interview with the Mac Attack on WFNZ-AM in Charlotte, N.C., McDowell said, “The Gatorade sign out in center had a light; there was a toggle switch in the manager’s office and camera zoomed in on the catcher.

“I’m gonna whistle-blow this now because I’m getting tired of this ****. There was that — Tony La Russa is the one who put it in. … He’s still in the game making half a million, you know? No one is going to go after that. It’s just, this stuff is getting old where they target certain guys and let other people off the hook.”

La - Russa - White - Sox - Manager

La Russa was the White Sox manager from midway through the 1979 season until the end of the 1986 season.

La Russa, who was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2014, was not pleased with McDowell’s comments.

Question - Was - Team - La - Russa

“My question is this: Was he ever on our team?” La Russa said via the San Jose Mercury News. “He was never on our team.”

When La Russa was informed McDowell didn’t claim to have played for him, he said: “He can talk all he wants. He doesn’t know how we played the game. He should talk to our teammates. That’s what he should do.”

November - La - Russa - Los - Angeles

Last November, La Russa was hired by the Los Angeles Angels as senior adviser for baseball operations.

“I’ve admired Tony for a very...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.oann.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: