Golden State Warriors President Rick Welts marries longtime boyfriend: ‘We made history’

SFChronicle.com | 1/17/2020 | Heather Knight
rach-rachrach-rach (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://s.hdnux.com/photos/01/10/04/45/18893128/5/rawImage.jpg

Couples marry under the breathtakingly beautiful City Hall dome every day. Straight couples. Same-sex couples. I once saw two men, one dressed as Superman and the other as Aquaman, marry at the top of the grand staircase before embracing under the former’s red cape.

It’s San Francisco. Rightly, when it comes to love, anything goes.

Wedding - Month - Attention - Barriers - Country

But one wedding this month garnered attention for breaking one of the last barriers in this country’s long fight for marriage equality. Rick Welts, president of the Golden State Warriors, married Todd Gage, a Southwest flight attendant, in Room 200.

It is believed to be the first time an executive for a professional men’s sports team married his same-sex partner. According to the Advocate, there are no out players in professional male sports and just a smattering of out executives and coaches. Same-sex weddings in the macho world of men’s pro sports were unheard of — until now.

Mayor - London - Breed - Wedding - Welts

Mayor London Breed officiated the wedding of Welts, who turns 67 Tuesday, and Gage, 44, at 11 a.m. Jan. 10. She pronounced them “spouses for life,” popped Champagne and served macaroons in the team’s colors, blue and gold.

Gut-punched by the president, women get fired up for...

€?Confusion - Conspiracy - Theories - Humor - Deal

‘Confusion, conspiracy theories, humor’: What’s the deal...

In last act, interim D.A. Loftus pushes new sex assault...

Death

It’s ‘life or death’: Recovering addict wants to...

National Basketball Association Commissioner Adam Silver quipped at the league’s subsequent annual sales meeting in Miami that Welts was there on his honeymoon, garnering good-natured laughs from other team executives.

Everybody - Warriors - Welts - Congratulations - Kevin

Just about everybody associated with the Warriors sent Welts their congratulations. Even Kevin Durant, who left the team in October under tense circumstances, texted his former boss his best wishes for a long and happy marriage.

“Never in my lifetime could I have imagined this,” Welts told me in a surprisingly personal interview. “It’s been a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: SFChronicle.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!