Is a Similar Sense of Calling Required for Marriage?

Desiring God | 1/17/2020 | John Piper
cindy95240cindy95240 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://dg.imgix.net/is-a-similar-sense-of-calling-required-for-marriage-mjq0fpqo-en/landscape/is-a-similar-sense-of-calling-required-for-marriage-mjq0fpqo-d2bdad326044158e8b2590e5fb0eec67.jpg?ts=1577807202&ixlib=rails-4.0.0&auto=format,compress&fit=min&w=800&h=450

Will God give my future spouse a similar calling to the calling he has given me? Should we expect marriage to be a harmonizing of vocational passions? The question is from a listener named Arielle. “Hello, Pastor John! As I look forward to marriage, Lord willing, I wonder if the partner God has for me, my future husband, will have a similar calling for God’s specific purposes. For example, will he give my husband the same level of desire I have for missions? Is that what God designed for marriages to be: a union of purpose? Or is this naïve? Are marriages more likely comprised of a husband and wife who are on their own individual trajectory with unique and different callings? In your pastoral experience, how does this normally work?”

Perhaps I should start with this sentence: Marriage is not fundamentally the linking of arms in the pursuit of an agreed-upon vocation. Now, here’s one of the ways to see why that is true. When you get married, you have no certainty whatsoever that the person you marry will not undergo profound changes. Your spouse may become an unbeliever in ten years. He or she may totally change his or her mind about what vocation they want to go after.

Depression - Accident - Day - Life - Drugs

They may experience deep depression. They may be in an accident and become disabled, and never be able to work a day in their life. They may turn to drink or drugs or sit in front of the TV every night or just become a lazy couch potato, doing nothing. When you get married, you take a huge risk and don’t have any way of predicting for sure how this will turn out.

So Jesus — unlike our culture, even our church culture, I am sad to say — said divorce is...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Desiring God
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: