The Unexpected Gain of Giving Yourself Away

(in)courage | 1/17/2020 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.incourage.me/wp/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/011220_Cushatt_HealingComes.jpg

It was my dream for as long as I can remember, back when a girl imagined true love and a house full of children:

I’d be the mom who baked homemade chocolate chip cookies for her kids after school.

Mixer - Butter - Sugar - Vanilla - Cabinets

Thus, when I married, it didn’t take long to set up a mixer and buy butter, sugar, and vanilla. I filled my cabinets with all the makings for magic. Even before children entered the story, I baked for my husband with all the love I had in my heart.

When divorce and remarriage changed the ingredients, adding angst to our family mix, I rolled up my sleeves and doubled both my recipes and my love. Day after day I baked, serving up cookie offerings to both children and adults, all of us who mourned our losses.

Children - Cookies - Hand - Neighbor - Kids

Seeing my children with cookies in hand, the neighbor kids started to come over (and their parents). Then, the piano students I gave lessons to (and their parents). When my husband started his own business, I baked cookies by the hundreds for new vendors and clients. Not to mention teachers, coaches, and friends and loved ones enduring a crisis.

Soon, I was known as the woman who always had cookies on the kitchen counter. Visitors stopped knocking at the front door, knowing they could walk in whenever they needed a fix. Once a neighbor mentioned buying me a Krispy-Kreme-like sign, one I could light up whenever I pulled a new batch from the oven.

Way - Everyone - Grin

“That way everyone knows when to come over,” she said with a grin.

She might’ve been joking, but I secretly dreamed of such a gift. What a thought! Baking was my way of delivering love on a plate, a small offering of joy and presence for those who needed it most.

Thousands - Cookies

I must’ve made thousands of cookies over the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: (in)courage
Wake Up To Breaking News!
The American Government, working tireless for everyone, except Americans.
Tagged: