Just Discovering Reformed Theology? TheoRecon Is A Toll-Booth You Should Skip

The Heidelblog | 1/16/2020 | Staff
idkwatitisidkwatitis (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://heidelblog.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/73572E93-C773-432E-8E4E-FAD01FD48259.jpeg

Arguably Reformed theology has never been more popular among evangelicals than it is right now. There are multiple large parachurch movements that extol the virtues of Reformed theology in a way that was unknown thirty years ago. It has never been easier for fundamentalists and evangelicals to discover the Reformed theology, piety, and practice. This is a very good thing and much to be encouraged.

Nevertheless, there are challenges to be faced. On the receiving side it is tempting for the Presbyterian and Reformed (hereafter P&R) churches to downplay the differences between modern (post-18th century) evangelical theology, piety, and practice and the Reformed confession. The same is true with fundamentalism, which I treat here as a distinct phenomenon. The picture becomes even fuzzier when we consider the several ways in which the contemporary P&R churches have been influenced both by modern evangelical theology, piety, and practice (as distinct from the Reformed confession) and by fundamentalism. So, it is possible, in some places, for evangelicals and fundamentalists to enter a Reformed congregation and not realize that they have migrated from one village to another.

Border - Walls - Argument - Distinctions - Reformed

I am not advocating for border walls but but this is an argument for making some distinctions. As I argued in Recovering the Reformed Confession, the P&R churches need to get back to their roots, to recover their own theology, piety, and practice. We have something distinct and eminently valuable to share with evangelical and fundamentalist pilgrims coming to Geneva, as it were.

When we lived in Carol Stream, a suburb of Chicago, we had to drive frequently on toll roads. Every so often we had to stop (or least slow down) and toss some coins into the toll booth, ostensibly to pay for road maintenance. My case here is that too often the pilgrims streaming toward Geneva too often...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Heidelblog
Wake Up To Breaking News!