The Magicians Season 5 Premiere Recap: A Post-Quentin World

TVLine | 1/16/2020 | Pilot Viruet
Click For Photo: https://pmctvline2.files.wordpress.com/2020/01/magicians-rcap-season-5-premiere.jpg?w=621

Child's Play Offshoot Chucky Earns Straight-to-Series Order at Syfy

Matt's Inside Line: Get Scoop on H50, Magnum, The Magicians, SEAL Team, Criminal Minds, Chicago Med and More!

Year - Finale - Magicians - Lot - Weight

After last year’s finale, The Magicians had a lot of weight to shoulder going into the Season 5 premiere. Last season ended with the death of Quentin, who sacrificed himself to save Eliot and bring back magic. It was a divisive decision, especially when it came to the Quentin/Eliot relationship, and now Season 5 has to prove that it was worth it.

Wednesday night’s season premiere, “Do Something Crazy,” takes place about a month later. Quentin’s death was technically successful — but maybe too much so, because now the world is plagued with powerful “magic surges” that have been killing magicians. Or, as a newly sober Dean Fogg puts it, “There’s too much goddamn magic.”

Aspect - Quentin - Death - Series - Time

One welcome aspect of Quentin’s death is that it allows the series to spend more time on the others, particularly Julia, who is often underutilized but who will hopefully have a larger, more attentive run this season. Julia is perhaps struggling the most, not only because she’s known Quentin since childhood but because Quentin’s death granted her magic again — as we learned in the finale, magic comes from pain. “I only have magic because I lost Q,” she tells Penny (after they go on a date!). “I just have to find something to do with it that’s worth that.”

An answer potentially comes in the form of a literal sexist pig who visits from Fillory, looking for Quentin. The pig creature is on a “mission of dreadful importance,” explaining that Quentin needs to save the world from the apocalypse. (All normal Magicians stuff, to be honest.) Julia offers to do the quest herself; after all, she was once a goddess....
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVLine
Wake Up To Breaking News!
The American Government, working tireless for everyone, except Americans.