Exclusive: Warren accused Sanders in tense post-debate exchange of calling her a 'liar' on national TV

CNN | 1/15/2020 | Staff
josh567josh567 (Posted by) Level 3
(CNN)In a tense and dramatic exchange in the moments after the Democratic debate Tuesday night, Elizabeth Warren accused Bernie Sanders of calling her a liar on national television.

Sanders responded that it was Warren who called him a liar and said they should not talk about it right then.

CNN/Des - Moines - Register - Debate - Studio

When the CNN/Des Moines Register debate concluded, the studio audience and viewers saw Warren walk over to Sanders and not shake his outstretched hand. The two senators seemed to have a heated and brief exchange before Sanders appeared to throw his hands up, turn and walk away. The video of the exchange aired live with no audio.

But sound of the moment was caught by CNN's microphones and found Wednesday.

Liar - TV - Warren

"I think you called me a liar on national TV," Warren can be heard saying.

"What?" Sanders responded.

Liar - TV

"I think you called me a liar on national TV," she repeated.

"You know, let's not do it right now. If you want to have that discussion, we'll have that discussion," Sanders said, to which Warren replied, "Anytime."

Liar - Sanders

"You called me a liar," Sanders continued. "You told me -- all right, let's not do it now."

After their exchange, fellow Democratic candidate Tom Steyer, who had been standing behind the two senators, can be heard saying, "I don't want to get in the middle. I just want to say hi Bernie."

Spokesperson - Sanders - Campaign - Audio - Spokesperson

A spokesperson for the Sanders campaign declined to comment on the audio. A spokesperson for Warren's campaign did not respond to a request for comment.

The tense interaction between Sanders and Warren capped a 48-hour period in which the two progressive presidential front-runners, who have mostly gone through a year-long campaign without any public signs of discord, were suddenly put at odds.

Monday - Warren - Sanders - Meeting - Woman

On Monday, Warren said Sanders told her during a private 2018 meeting that a woman could not win the presidency. In a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNN
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Don't touch that, you don't know where it's been.